cfsmtb in low earth orbit

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Four wheels bad

'I hate driving in my car'
Imagine the scene. Groups of youngsters lining up to sign a pledge that they will fight the cravings for grown-up love affairs, that they will not capitulate to their objects of desire. These kids would rather walk that extra mile than be falsely wedded to a passing fancy. They pledge to do the right thing - what might be called the Silver Walking/Cycling Thing. The 'Good Going' pledge, introduced by local authorities across London in the past few weeks, states that the signatories will do their bit for the environment, their fellow man and for the city they love. Short and sharp, it reads:

'I know I can improve the health and quality of life for everyone living, working, visiting or being educated in London by reducing traffic congestion and vehicle emissions in the capital. That's why I pledge my support to Good Going - travel awareness in London.'