cfsmtb in low earth orbit

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Asians on the move



Whether by road, rail or river, Asians move about in huge throngs every day. Straits Times photojournalists dodged speeding traffic, side-stepped bicycles and got splashed as they roamed the cities of Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta and Hanoi to bring back these photos.

Through the haze, Indonesians peddle hope of a pollution-free future
Ari Sufosa is a rarity in Jakarta. For this interior designer is one of the handful of the Indonesian capital's 12 million residents who braves the heat, humidity, traffic jams and all-engulfing pollution to cycle to work. 'I'm lucky though,' he says. 'My office is only a kilometre or so from home, I go via back roads and so avoid the really nasty buses. And I can shower at the office if I need to.'