cfsmtb in low earth orbit

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Clear-headed thoughts about commuting on two wheels

Clear-headed thoughts about commuting on two wheels

"Read your article with great interest about cycling aroung Boston (''Bumpy Ride,' City Weekly, Sept. 19). I commute from Dorchester to Brigham and Women's Hospital in the Longwood Medical Area. Riding into work in the morning, usually leaving by 6 a.m., I run into little if any traffic and it is a great way to get the blood moving for the day ahead. Biking to work also means that I don't have to worry about paying for parking, which around the medical area can run from $18 to $30 a day. Going home at 4 or 5 p.m. there are always traffic snarls, so I have to ride slower than in the morning, but with the bike I can keep moving; also by adding a few extra miles I can get a workout in on the way home."