cfsmtb in low earth orbit

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Race 7: Picking a winner

Woah!1887 Melbourne Cup: Dunlop takes on race favourite Penny Farling by a neck


Ok, ok, the race that possibly stops the nation. Whatever. So, have you got any tips? Like you've got a surefire hot tip from a bloke who met another bloke down the pub who may know another little bloke who overheard something in passing from another bloke who might be a strapper? The Diva? Well, the tracks rated dead. Storms forecast for this arvo? Know of any mudlarks in the 24-strong field? Vinnie? Eye Popper? Why don't I spent the arvo constructively by fiddling around with one of the Fleet? Yeah, finish off
yet another configuration of the road bike. Oh bugger haven't got the tektro levers yet. Might go fer a ride before heading off to the Dirt Crits. Might not. Decisions, decisions...

6 Comments:

  • Are the 'Tektro levers' those additional brake levers which go on the flats of the bars? If so, are they any good and are they dead easy to fit? I ask as my good laydee would like such things on her bike (or so she tells me). Are they a really wussy thing to ask for (not that I care particularly)?

    I assume (if it is the same thing) they're a hell of a lot better than those scary old 'bits on the side' of old road bike brake levers. They were pretty dangerous.

    By Blogger 3Ply Stagliano, at 11:20 am, November 01, 2005  

  • Yep, just like cyclocross levers. I'm changing from the Salsa cyclocross bars to Profile Bullhorns - just can't make friends with drops. So hence, barend levers, tektro brake levers...and...and...spiffy red bar tape. Makes the bike go faster & nicely matches the Rubino treads & bidon cages. Quite important, those finishing touches ;)))

    By Blogger cfsmtb, at 11:40 am, November 01, 2005  

  • Gee! I didn't realise that Mallachi had started up the Dirt Crits again... Do you race in them C?

    By Blogger mj, at 10:48 pm, November 01, 2005  

  • I was too stingy to order the Salsa brake levers, so I ordered some of the cheaper Tektro ones for my girlfriend today.

    Here's hoping I'm capable of fitting them okay. It seems reasonably straightforward - remove cabling, attach levers, clip housing in appropriate places, feed cabling back through and make sure everything is working properly. Hopefully it'll be fine and dandy.

    My main bike (apologies for the shameless link) is very much just grey and silver. It's not exciting but I am very fond of the way it looks. Good old sensible me.

    By Blogger 3Ply Stagliano, at 10:00 am, November 02, 2005  

  • @M!key: Um, not with my current level of (un)fitness. I'm tending to vere more towards the road bike. Bikesoiler has a lash at them though.

    @3ply: Noice rig, verrryyyy tasty. Let me know how you progress with the tektros, I'm off to score a pair today. Oh joy!

    By Blogger cfsmtb, at 10:10 am, November 02, 2005  

  • Thank you for your compliments cfsmtb and I will do in relation to the brake levers. They should be here within the next couple of days. I'll be sure to let you know how long it has taken me, from their arrival, to destroy my good lady's bike.

    By Blogger 3Ply Stagliano, at 3:13 am, November 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home