cfsmtb in low earth orbit

Friday, March 24, 2006

Short and sweet

Kitty BikeThe Present ...

I can't allow the previous horrid entry remaining as lead item on this blog over the weekend. So here's a cheery little anecdote from earlier this evening.

Whilst cycling down to Goat this evening through Yarra Bend Park, I encountered a little girl riding her bike just past Dights Falls. I could see she was having a bit of strife with the training wheels while decending a rise on the bikepath. I slowed down and gave a gentle ring of the bell to let her know I was behind her. She picked up her bike, and moved to the riverbank side.

I said "Thank you very much"

She stood up proudly next to her lovely bike and said to me, "You're most welcome"
2005 Pisa
The Future ....

I don't think she was more than 5 or 6 years old. Anyway after I passed her, I stood up on the pedals and heroically caned off (ie: wildly posing) down towards the Collingwood Childrens Farm. We had a joke about it later at Goat. Envisage the scenario, we're at a future World Track comp/Commonwealth/Olympic Games and this (now) grown cyclist spies me in cheap seats and comes over and thanks and/or blames me. "It's all you're fault, all those early starts ... I could of bought a car by now, if it wasn't for you .." As Phil at Spinopsys mentions about the bicycle industry’s killer app, simply get out and ride whatever two wheeled contraption that makes you smile today!

4 Comments:

  • I followed your link and it is all true. $1.50 per litre will be the tipping point.
    Schools will have to install very large covered bike racks like the ones my high school had, and there will be a niche for wicker bike baskets to hold a copy of Saturdays Age.

    I need 30 inch wheels plus training wheels and am wondering if that HelloKitty model comes with a frame to bear a weight like mine.
    Speaking of kitties, here is something Mr Barry and The Princess might put on their Wish List.

    By Blogger BwcaBrownie, at 8:48 am, March 26, 2006  

  • What a great story!

    Reminds me of the time I saw a father taking his son out on his 1st public ride w/o training wheels.

    It was on the bike path in Huntington Beach, CA..

    The 5 year old was bawling "I can't! I can't!" as he pedalled his little legs, and heart out for a good distance and back with dad beaming along side, and me cheering loudly "You can do it! Way to go!". ;-D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:56 pm, March 26, 2006  

  • She sounds like she was a very polite wee thing. Was she on her own? I mean, presumably there was someone looking after her.

    By Blogger 3Ply Stagliano, at 6:13 am, March 30, 2006  

  • Of course, her dad (I think) was only 10 meters further down the path.

    By Blogger cfsmtb, at 11:04 am, April 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home