cfsmtb in low earth orbit

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Twunt Report

Birth Life DeathOut and about on the bike today, as I had to visit & cheer up a dear friend who had received bad news. But had a strange incident, you know, the one where you're stopped on the bicycle storage box at a red light, and the vehicle behind you keeps inching up. And slowly inching up. And slowly keeps inching up alongside.

This was at the T-intersection at Blythe & Sydney Road in Brunnie, the one where if you're heading up to Coburg, you lanesplit & turn right. Back to the inching up, the left front tyre almost went over my right Axo shoe. So I calmly and tactfully move my tootsie out of harms way, and think, hmmm, how about I carefully take off against the lights, cane through the intersection and put this twunt in the running for a Darwin Award? ie: he shoots through into moving traffic due to being needlessly provoked by a small, stationary female minding her own business.

But I behaved myself, and Mr Twunt duly floored his 4 cylinder P.O.S up the gentle incline towards the delights of Coburg. Sheeesshhh. But this little altercation is small beer compared to this disgusting incident in Brisbane. Subtext, I kicked off this thread on a.b after reading about that road rage incident. On a proactive theme, more Goatage and WoJ stuff on this Friday. Be there.

7 Comments:

  • Grrrr. Just gotta take the whole box, I guess.

    My pet peeve is bastards who turn left from behind me, when I'm stopped at a red with a green left arrow. Just hope they continue to judge the space ok, huh?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 pm, September 22, 2005  

  • I am just mightily impressed by the term "Twunt". Very descriptive.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:09 am, September 27, 2005  

  • My knowledge on cars is so completely lacking your mention of a '4 cylinder P.O.S.' is lost on me. I guess (given the context of its mention) it's poor for a car to only have four cylinders but, for all I know, it could have been really good.

    I know what Robin means about that overtaking thing. With me, it's when I'm turning right that people overtake me like that, suggesting to me Robin probably lives somewhere they drive on the right hand side of the road. If you're cycling on the left and people overtake you on the left while you're turning left, then it's exceptionally dangerous (not that it's safe practice in any situation).

    By Blogger 3Ply Stagliano, at 12:34 am, September 28, 2005  

  • umm 3ply, I'm guessing POS = "Piece of Shyte" - a mode of transport much prized by twunts ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:46 am, September 28, 2005  

  • Oh, the P.O.S. bit was the part I did understand (sorry about my confusing witterings). It was the four cylinder bit I didn't. My mechanical car knowledge is utterly non-existent.

    By Blogger 3Ply Stagliano, at 5:51 am, September 28, 2005  

  • Nah, Robin lives just up the road from us.

    POS = Piece of Shit. Correct answer. Three Bear Stamps & a Gold Star.

    By Blogger cfsmtb, at 11:40 am, September 28, 2005  

  • So Robin has people passing on the left when s/he turns left from a left lane into a side road? Jeez! No wonder it doesn't sit well. Thankfully, I've never had that happen to me (not that I can remember anyway). How is there space in your turn for a car to pass you on the inside?

    Hang on, reading the comment again, I get the feeling I've misunderstood the situation. I thought it was in relation to the cyclist turning left, onto a side road and someone nipping in from behind and overtaking on the cyclist's left during the turn. I get the feeling that's not the case at all. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

    By Blogger 3Ply Stagliano, at 8:18 pm, September 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home