cfsmtb in low earth orbit

Thursday, August 04, 2005

But wait, there's more!

The TiffAfter the tiff, she simply couldn’t hold back the tears. He paused and turned back. "But wait I didn't mean those cruel words. Can we still be friends?"

ACA (k) are broadcasting a story on them, us, whatever tonight at 18.30. More cats & dogs & strawman arguments? Or a pleasant surprise? Let us see.

Updates via a.b threads:
Holy s**t :: Motorists will even hate us more now :: Channel 9 beat up Cyclist Vs Motorists :: Seriously though, it ain't all that bad, Read these Words of Wisdom.

And More Words of Wisdom, *cough*, Brutal Sarcasm from
Dr Henrik Ziegler.

Victorian Government report on road rage, Inquiry Into Violence Associated With Motor Vehicle Use
Obtain a hard copy at Level 8, 35 Spring Street, Melbourne. This report has been tabled in Victorian Parliament. The Victorian government has until October 2005 to respond. This report has gone to both Upper and Lower houses, so contact your local member, and politely enquiry what is to be done about these recommendations. For letter writing tips and contacts, refer to the Resources and Skills links listed below the Flickr gallery in the righthand margin of Bicycle Justice.

Friday Update:
$50,000 for Amy Gillett foundation
An interesting combination of cycling & advocacy groups, although on a minor note, I'm really over the zeroing in on remarks with possible negative connotations.

4 Comments:

  • I got word of that story earlier today through the bike-qld list. Sounds like just another re-run of the same five minutes of tabloid TV they've aired several times since 2000 (and probably before then). I think I got bored enough to watch it in 2002 -- I can't say I found it terribly enlightening. Needless to say, tonight I had better things to do.

    I was actually coming back from a ride just after the show ended (http://life-cycle.blogspot.com/2005/08/no-contest.html if anybody cares), I can't say I noticed any discernable change in driver behaviour as a result of it. Nor did I notice any change on any of the other occasions they've ran that story. I think most people can see that show for what it is -- light "entertainment".

    Of course, the boorish, yobbo cyclist-abusers are still around, but I suspect they'd be around regardless of anything they saw on TV, and I have more pity for them than any other emotion.

    By Blogger Chris L, at 9:11 pm, August 04, 2005  

  • Chris, I think you're crediting 'the boorish yobbo cyclist-abusers' with too much free thought. I truly believe people like that tend to do whatever TV tells them it's right for them to do. I think they get hypnotised into believing what they see on the television is the way life is supposed to be and attempt to emulate it.

    If the great god television told them enough times that attacking cyclists was wrong, I reckon they would eventually stop it.

    By Blogger 3Ply Stagliano, at 1:09 am, August 06, 2005  

  • 3 ply, you may be right, but the issue seems to be one of degree. Essentially we're talking about a "report" that probably lasted five minutes of a half-hour TV slot. Compare this to the psychologial effect of a life-time of upbringing and conditioning that "bikes don't belong on the road" or whatever. Also remember that they were being told these things when they were younger and more impressionable.

    Personally, I think attempts to eradicate this sort of attitude would be more effective if they were implemented at an earlier stage, perhaps when a driving licence was obtained. Why not make people pass a test about a cyclist's right to use the road?

    Incidentally, it's now Saturday morning, I've ridden every day since the report aired, and am still yet to notice any kind of behavioural change. The probability that it will happen decreases every day as ACA and the like fill people's heads with other "issues".

    By Blogger Chris L, at 10:48 am, August 06, 2005  

  • I think you've got a very valid point there Chris. I don't recall, at any point of learning to drive, having to learn anything about the rights of cyclists on the roads. It's completely ignored. A lot of drivers must genuinely not realise they're being as bad as they are (at times). That's not to say all drivers are likely to cause harm to cyclists. I would say there are more good than bad drivers about but it's just that the bad ones are scarier and you're more likely to remember them for it.

    By Blogger 3Ply Stagliano, at 6:05 am, August 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home